Quick wins on the German Amazon Marketplace – Five steps to improve product descriptions and increase sales without much effort
If you are selling your products on the German Amazon Marketplace and want to improve your product descriptions and increase your sales without much effort, the following steps might do the trick:
- KISS - Keep It Short and Simple: short text is often better than long text. A good product and a description within the Amazon style guides focusing on the USP, function, material and size is usually enough. We Germans like facts and figures and we do not need a lot of text surrounding the relevant information. Plus: in case you are using an auto translator, a short text will sound better and contain less mistakes, which will have a positive effect on buyer behavior and the conversion rate. A famous German saying goes "In der Kürze liegt die Würze" - that says everything.
- Don’t use superlatives and exaggerations – as said before, we Germans are fact-driven and don’t need big words.
- Do a thorough research on the relevant key words and use them in the description (headline, bullet points etc.). This might be a bit difficult in a foreign language, but it is worth the effort. You may e.g. use google.de or see how German competitors describe similar products.
- Don’t use legal wording such as “patented” if you are not 100% sure that it is true - otherwise this might be challenged by competitors in front of a German court which would unnecessarily consume your time and money.
- Use German scale units (e.g. milliliter (ml) instead of fluid ounces (fl. oz.)) and make sure that the conversion is correct.
Daniel Hampe, 05.08.2019
PS: If you would like to share your thoughts on this article or discuss possibilities to optimize your sales on the German Amazon Marketplace, please get in touch with me.